Sunday, March 13, 2011

March Madness

Hey everyone,

It has been an exciting month so far!

The month kicked off with Miss GA Forum. At Forum, all of the Miss and Teen Contestants competing in the Miss GA Pageant meet in Columbus for a weekend to discuss the expectations for Miss GA week, to pick out contestant order, and to celebrate our current Miss GA and Miss GA Outstanding Teen at a party on Saturday night.

Me and Amelia, Miss Rome's Outstanding Teen
with our Field Director Ms. Wanda Whitten.
The theme of this party was a "Luau." The Rome Board, known for their creative take on the theme each year, decided to dress up like characters from Polynesian (Hawaiian) mythology. I was the Goddess of Fire and Miss Rome's Outstanding Teen, Amelia Hunt, was the Goddess of Water. We had a great time, and I am even more excited for Miss GA Week!
The Ladies of Rome!

I have continued my work at the Boys and Girls Club this month tutoring and even volunteering at the St. Patrick's Day party.  We had a face painting station, story time about St. Patrick, interactive games and even snacks that were donated for the kids.  As always, I enjoyed spending time with the kids and getting to know them better.  When I was tutoring the following week I got to work with the 5 and 6 year old which was so much fun because they simply love getting attention from an older girl. I take very seriously the responsibility of being a positive role model for children of all ages. It always brings a smile to my face knowing I am making a positive impression on their lives.

Two of the sweet kids we met at the event.
Saturday, March 13th was as exciting day in Rome, GA! "Celebrities" from around Rome gathered at Kroger from 10 to 2 to bag groceries for customers and raise money for Children's Miracle Network Hospitals (CMNH).  We had so much fun talking to the customers, and the kids all loved the glow in the dark CMNH bracelets and stickers.  I want to extend a big "Thank You" to the entire community for being so supportive.  Almost every customer donated to the cause, even if it was just some spare change!

So proud of our total: $1,000!
I also had the opportunity to share with customers the importance of CMNH in local communities and how CMNH relies on donations to keep their hospitals operating.  I appreciate all the help from our volunteers who spent their Saturday supporting the Miss America Organization's partnership with CMNH.  We would not have been as successful without you. Speaking of success...we raised...drum roll please...$1,000 for Children's Miracle Network!! Absolutely Amazing! And thank you to Kroger for hosting the fundraiser. The money we raised will be put to good use helping local hospitals.

A Special Thank You to ALL of our Celebrity Volunteers:
Mayor Evie McNeice
City Commisssioners Buzz Wachsteter and Milton Slack
Director of the Greater Rome Convention and Visitor's Bureau Lisa Smith
Asst City Manager Sammy Rich
Asst County Manager Blaine Williams 
Pres of the Coosa Valley Fair Association Nan Langford
1st VP of the Coosa Valley Fair Association Cathy Kerce
City Fire Chief Gordon Henderson
Deputy City Fire Chief Benny Bohannon
Rome Fire Prevention Gary Ray Johnson
Senior Ms. Coosa Valley Fair Ruthie Terry
Miss Rome Board members Melody Noyes and Teresa Bohannon

This week I am at home on my Spring Break busy with lots of pageant preparations for the Miss GA pageant in June! My week is packed with talent rehearsals, essay revisions, hair make overs, and head shots with the fabulous Matt and Meredith Boyd. Every preparation leads me one step closer to accomplishing my dream of becoming Miss GA. I trust that God had great plans for me, and I cannot wait to see the lessons He is going to teach me along this journey. The road to Miss GA had been rewarding so far and I am looking forward to see what the next few months will hold.

Best Wishes,
Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment